Replacement hose clamps - which ones?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Replacement hose clamps - which ones?

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi
Say what you like about clips, and it's a case of "Lloyd George knew my father" when talking clips. No manufacturer got rich by fitting quality components. Now....if Japanese manufacturers fit constantly variable clips to cope with climate, then they know a thing or two. Japanese products were always considered as "copycat " products in the early imports, but, in fact, they always improved on standards, and that's why they succeeded in the market, because once they sold good products, the customer came back. Europe did not have the same attitude, and the customer footed the bill for components needing rapid replacement.
Regarding worm-drive clips, there is always a small segment that doesn't grip on the circumference due to the design...The whole deal grips well, except where we are looking at temperature variances in seasons. This is where the "Mikalor" type bolt clips are better, with the sliding insert, and better still are the spring clips Mazda use, or the Norma clips, which can be replaced without removing the hose. It doesn't matter what metal (Stainless or standard) the clip is made of, because expansion of the clip isn't an issue in relation to the stub, because the clip is insulated from the stub by the hose, whereas the stub is a larger mass, and therefore subject to larger rates of expansion and contraction, being the final link in a large temperature reservoir (the block)...
For all the hassles recorded during testing and customer comments on here some years back, constant pressure clips like the Norma variants , and Mazda originals had no issues in comparison to the cheap worm drive.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:27 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Say what you like about clips, and it's a case of "Lloyd George knew my father" when talking clips. No manufacturer got rich by fitting quality components. Now....if Japanese manufacturers fit constantly variable clips to cope with climate, then they know a thing or two. Japanese products were always considered as "copycat " products in the early imports, but, in fact, they always improved on standards, and that's why they succeeded in the market, because once they sold good products, the customer came back. Europe did not have the same attitude, and the customer footed the bill for components needing rapid replacement.
Regarding worm-drive clips, there is always a small segment that doesn't grip on the circumference due to the design...The whole deal grips well, except where we are looking at temperature variances in seasons. This is where the "Mikalor" type bolt clips are better, with the sliding insert, and better still are the spring clips Mazda use, or the Norma clips, which can be replaced without removing the hose. It doesn't matter what metal (Stainless or standard) the clip is made of, because expansion of the clip isn't an issue in relation to the stub, because the clip is insulated from the stub by the hose, whereas the stub is a larger mass, and therefore subject to larger rates of expansion and contraction, being the final link in a large temperature reservoir (the block)...
For all the hassles recorded during testing and customer comments on here some years back, constant pressure clips like the Norma variants , and Mazda originals had no issues in comparison to the cheap worm drive.
Cheers
Helen
How odd, Mikalor is one of the better jubilees that are not jubilees I know of (I even went to check them but did not post back so interesting you mention that Spanish manufacturer, even though mine are just flat screw type ones). Much more substantial quality from Mikalor IMO as I suspect original UK made Jubilees. And I was speaking to a few people and you are right people initially thought Japanese equipment was a bit like what we sometimes think the Chinese manufacturing is like now.

Seems some Chinese manufacturing is excellent and some of it atrocious quality, literally breaks before you can use it, put on a boat with zero QC. But get a good international brand with some good QC practice and it can be as good as any.

The knowledge on this forum is very impressive.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:49 am

Hi
BB123...
Well, you're quite right on the Chinese goods...Don't look now, but some of the better Japanese air-conditioners use Chinese components, and some of the Chinese 'fridge-freezers look quite good. Chinese optics are amongst the very best, as they invested huge amounts in state of the art lens making equipment..., but as you say, there is the other side of the coin...the rubbish stuff , and there's a lot of it over here...NOT , I might add , because the population are poorer, but they are as tight as a duck's fluffy!
Regarding clips, I never buy cheap, and the standard Jubilee clip fits nicely into that bracket....they're better than a bit of twisted coat-hanger to hold a hose on (yes, i've used that in an emergency, and it works!), but I don't understand why anyone would use worm-drive clips when there is a proper alternative...just to save a quid or two, then they'll go and lash out thousands on a kitchen unit that doesn't do a blind thing towards the maintenance!...
Digressing a bit, it's like having gas cylinders on board...yes, I transport them , sure, but I stand them outside for use, with external gas sockets, and the same for water!...ease of access, and in the case of gas, far less dangerous, and they're padlocked to the van!...It just seems common sense in a small unit!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Haydn Alarms
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Haydn Alarms » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:06 pm

I do have some Norma Clamps 32mm-50mm in stock now listed on the shop if its any help. www.coolantalarm.co.uk

Jo @ Haydn Alarms
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Haydn Alarms wrote:I do have some Norma Clamps 32mm-50mm in stock now listed on the shop if its any help. http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk

Jo @ Haydn Alarms
Thanks Haydn, I was about to drag the thread back to my original question but you saved me! I need to work out how many of what sizes I will need.

Learnt a lot about hose clamps and been entertained as well! Thanks everyone.

I made the big assumption that constant pressure clips would get tired after 20 years and should be replaced with the hoses but maybe not.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:04 am

I get tired after 20 years, don't want to be replaced, though.

Just started my 4th set of twenties. :lol:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Main thing to watch with the original constant pressure clips is that they can get a bit rusty & weakened as a result. If left well alone, they'll probably outlast the rubber hoses but once they've been expanded & contracted a few times they could lose their effectiveness. I've used good quality Jubilee clips for years without any problems (even on silicone hoses that are prone to failing to make a good seal) so they are fit for purpose if used appropriately.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Main thing to watch with the original constant pressure clips is that they can get a bit rusty & weakened as a result. If left well alone, they'll probably outlast the rubber hoses but once they've been expanded & contracted a few times they could lose their effectiveness. I've used good quality Jubilee clips for years without any problems (even on silicone hoses that are prone to failing to make a good seal) so they are fit for purpose if used appropriately.

Exactly, a lot of peeps call ordinary hose clips/clamps "Jubilee" when in fact they are Not, the same thing applies to some people calling a Vacuum Cleaner a "Hoover" when it is often an entirely different make.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:45 am

Hi
Well aren't you lucky!...I only use branded parts, and on a variety of applications, Jubilee clips have failed. I only use branded parts because there have been cheap copies of all parts around since the '60s...prior to that, most things did the job properly.
Unfortunately, I've seen REAL Jubilee clips used in applications that are entirely unsuitable, and once people grab the name out of a hat they use the things anywhere...hell, i've seen "experts"use them on exhausts...FRIGHTFUL...and I've seen them used in industrial applications, and on small diameter hoses where they are too clumsy to work, and just about anywhere...
There are other clamps far more suitable!
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Main thing to watch with the original constant pressure clips is that they can get a bit rusty & weakened as a result. If left well alone, they'll probably outlast the rubber hoses but once they've been expanded & contracted a few times they could lose their effectiveness. I've used good quality Jubilee clips for years without any problems (even on silicone hoses that are prone to failing to make a good seal) so they are fit for purpose if used appropriately.
Interesting one. In theory the metal clips should keep their tensility much longer than the rubber hoses keep their elasticity. I think it may be that the clips depend on the rubber/silicon being elastic enough to be settled evenly to a good seal when the clip applies pressure. Probably though the rule should be new hose and new clip. And maybe, old hose and jubilee clip.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:53 am

Hi
Mike...
Spot on...Old hoses should be replaced at intervals regardless of whether they are holed or not...why wait until the system goes pop??? Old rubber is NOT resilient, and a look at the hose should tell you that a hose that looks like a dull rigid relic IS just that...dull (in terms of elasticity), and as stiff as a board and no longer doing it's job. It's not just a case of a good spring clip to fix troubles for as long as you can remember....BOTH items must be performing together....hells teeth, it's only common sense. If only one item in the chain is working, then the system isn't!!!. Let me put it this way...if there is a chain of people passing buckets of water , either to put out a bonfire, or water the garden, and one person stops passing, then the whole damn' system fails...same with the hoses..you can put a clip of any old flavour on a stiff hose, and bleed the system , and you're asking for a hiding later...the hose will leak small amounts of air because it no longer functions as a flexible unit component in the sealing of a water system.
IF all Japanese car makers are going towards spring clips, it kind of says something. Japanese cars are legendary for their reliability, so that's what the owner should be aware of.
Cheers
Helen
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:41 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
Spot on...Old hoses should be replaced at intervals regardless of whether they are holed or not...why wait until the system goes pop??? Old rubber is NOT resilient, and a look at the hose should tell you that a hose that looks like a dull rigid relic IS just that...dull (in terms of elasticity), and as stiff as a board and no longer doing it's job. It's not just a case of a good spring clip to fix troubles for as long as you can remember....BOTH items must be performing together....hells teeth, it's only common sense. If only one item in the chain is working, then the system isn't!!!. Let me put it this way...if there is a chain of people passing buckets of water , either to put out a bonfire, or water the garden, and one person stops passing, then the whole damn' system fails...same with the hoses..you can put a clip of any old flavour on a stiff hose, and bleed the system , and you're asking for a hiding later...the hose will leak small amounts of air because it no longer functions as a flexible unit component in the sealing of a water system.
IF all Japanese car makers are going towards spring clips, it kind of says something. Japanese cars are legendary for their reliability, so that's what the owner should be aware of.
Cheers
Helen
Aye the Bucket Brigade....these kids never missed a beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJN9KvMeyXU
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:19 pm

cmm303 wrote:
Haydn Alarms wrote:I do have some Norma Clamps 32mm-50mm in stock now listed on the shop if its any help. http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk

Jo @ Haydn Alarms
Thanks Haydn, I was about to drag the thread back to my original question but you saved me! I need to work out how many of what sizes I will need.

Learnt a lot about hose clamps and been entertained as well! Thanks everyone.

I made the big assumption that constant pressure clips would get tired after 20 years and should be replaced with the hoses but maybe not.
What size do I need to replace the 2 that go to the heater box as it exits the floor in the rear?
Do what you like.Like what you do.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:21 pm

If you do a search on here somewhere there is a list of all clamps and their size
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Cheers, I did search but didn't find them.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Techie Stuff”