leisure battery..

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

2newbies
Bongolier

leisure battery..

Post by 2newbies » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,Can anyone recommend a replacement leisure battery,I have a willinton kit and battery tray......thanks Paul
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: leisure battery..

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Euro Car Parts:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/leisure-batteries

http://couponfollow.com/site/eurocarparts.com

Or Tayna:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Leisure-Batteries-C45.html

Do check dimensions, though.

And Go Outdoors can be worth a look.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:19 pm

And position of the terminals!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dnitu001
Bongonaut

Post by dnitu001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:34 pm

I had a go outside battery last year.

Looked after it all year. Keeping it charged.

One time charge dropped to 11.9v battery.

Battery damaged and only takes 75% charge.

So would try a different make. I will next time.

Bought a solar panel to help.

2newbies
Bongolier

Post by 2newbies » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi,thats great , thanks for all the info,....paul
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:19 am

Proper leisure batteries are designed to withstand a steady drain that can drop the voltage quite low without damage. 11.9v shouldn't be a problem unless there was a fault with the battery.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 am

Tend to agree on this my Low Voltage Cutout relay is attached direct to the battery and is set for 10.8 volts, at this level I expect some damage if it happens repeatedly but would rather get the most juice out the battery when needed!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dnitu001
Bongonaut

Post by dnitu001 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

Yes I tend to agree. regarding 11.9v being discharged.
On the internet 11.9v seems to be accepted as 80% discharged and the lower end. With 10.9 being flat.

However go outside - declined to accept the battery was faulty.

Also when you look into the warranty it is some-what limited

for example the battery is only rated for 120 discharge cycles

Or thats what derby said.

different branches may offer a different answer. Also bought it prior to the newer 2015 consumer act.

Seems to be look at the small print as not all batteries are equal.

Halfords offer a lifetime warrently on their black leisure battery. Given the new consumer 2015 act that could be a sensible buy - but £150.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:44 pm

dnitu001 wrote:Yes I tend to agree. regarding 11.9v being discharged.
On the internet 11.9v seems to be accepted as 80% discharged and the lower end. With 10.9 being flat.

different branches may offer a different answer. Also bought it prior to the newer 2015 consumer act.

Halfords offer a lifetime warrently on their black leisure battery. Given the new consumer 2015 act that could be a sensible buy - but £150.
Sale of Goods Act 1979.
The crunch is that should the battery have lasted longer? I think it is reasonable to expect the battery to last a year so long as it remains within its (cleverly) rated number of discharge cycles, 120. (Though I am not sure what constitutes a discharge cycle.) On this basis you can request a repair, replacement or part refund. It’s up to you which one you ask for, but it’s ultimately up to the seller which one they offer you. Since you have had use from it the seller is allowed to make deductions for this. The challenge unfortunately is that the seller may ask you to prove you didn’t cause the fault yourself - they’re allowed to do that. Could be quite hard with a battery, or expensive and a lot of hassle!

It's a hobby horse, I think retailers exploit consumers by hiding behind manufacturer warranties. They conveniently forget consumer rights which are often more extensive than warranties.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:32 pm

cmm303 wrote:
dnitu001 wrote:Yes I tend to agree. regarding 11.9v being discharged.

Sale of Goods Act 1979.
The crunch is that should the battery have lasted longer? I think it is reasonable to expect the battery to last a year so long as it remains within its (cleverly) rated number of discharge cycles, 120. (Though I am not sure what constitutes a discharge cycle.) On this basis you can request a repair, replacement or part refund. It’s up to you which one you ask for, but it’s ultimately up to the seller which one they offer you. Since you have had use from it the seller is allowed to make deductions for this. The challenge unfortunately is that the seller may ask you to prove you didn’t cause the fault yourself - they’re allowed to do that. Could be quite hard with a battery, or expensive and a lot of hassle!

It's a hobby horse, I think retailers exploit consumers by hiding behind manufacturer warranties. They conveniently forget consumer rights which are often more extensive than warranties.

I must admit I have little faith in almost any battery warranty as they must depend on proper treatment through their life. How can the purchaser prove they did not abuse the battery. Almost impossible unless it has been used under very closely controlled laboratory circumstances
White diesel Bongo
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm

I agree maxi_77. Amd let's face it, there must be plenty of cases where the battery may have been abused, even though the user may not have realised it. Good quality high capacity battery and low voltage protector probably the best that can be done, but it costs. For those feeling flush and brave, i've found a 135ah Energy Bull can JUST be squeezed in. I've been very happy with mine, though it generally has light duties. But it was used twice with jump leads for fast charging a flat starter battery, saving two RAC callouts (well, one as the other happened at home and i don't have home cover :roll: )
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:42 am

After almost seven years of sterling service, my trusty Elecsol battery has finally died. As is the way with all of my good buys, you can't get Elecsol batteries any more so I am starting from scratch as I would have liked to replace like for like :roll: .

If I recall correctly it was 110aH (but it might have been 100aH), but looking at Tayna (for starters) none of the 110aH are the right physical size.

There's a bit of room for manoeuvre in the battery tray (Willinton) but the battery itself is roughly 18cm tall, 27cm wide and 18cm deep. I say roughly, as I measured it with a flappy tape measure as it's very windy here today. It's also a bit grubby around the battery so I didn't stick my arm in to hold the loose end of the tape measure down.

On that basis, it would appear that I am left with the following option thus far .... and Enduroline EXV100 measuring 278L x 175W x 190H (12V 100Ah 700A) at £89.99.

Does anyone have one of these? Have you had it long? Is it any good?

I'm still trawling the internet, but thought I'd be a little bit lazy and ask you guys for opinions and suggestions.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:30 pm

If you're prepared to risk a tight squeeze (though it actually seems no harder to remove/replace than the Numax 110ah i had before), i've had great service from the expensive but quality Energy Bull 135ah battery i plonked in mine several years ago. It's so snug against the inner wing it doesn't even really need a battery retaining strap :lol: I defy anyone to get a bigger battery in there 8)
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks Mike. As I am Little Miss Cautious and Little Miss Clumsy I didn't risk your recommendation as I could just see myself losing a finger or three and my husband putting his back out trying to retrieve them.

So, erring on the side of caution I got the one I mentioned. So far so good, but apart from making sure the central heating works without the engine running, I will pass further comment in a few months if necessary.

Ordered Friday, from Tayna, arrived yesterday morning. Only an extra quid for Saturday delivery.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Alison01326 wrote:Thanks Mike. As I am Little Miss Cautious and Little Miss Clumsy I didn't risk your recommendation as I could just see myself losing a finger or three and my husband putting his back out trying to retrieve them.

So, erring on the side of caution I got the one I mentioned. So far so good, but apart from making sure the central heating works without the engine running, I will pass further comment in a few months if necessary.

Ordered Friday, from Tayna, arrived yesterday morning. Only an extra quid for Saturday delivery.
Fully understand, hence why I always include the disclaimer.

Who dares, gets 135Ah or bloody fingers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”