Where is the horn located?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Where is the horn located?

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Nice simple question for everyone!

The horn on the Bongo has stopped working, but as the body shop have been rummaging around under the bonnet, I suspect a wire has come off. I want to try and trace it back, but where from? I can't find anything that looks remotely like a horn under the bonnet ................. but then again, I have no idea what one looks like, having never had to find one before :(
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Where is the horn located?

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Under the offside headlight behind the bumper. Some have one each side :wink:
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Alison01326 wrote:Nice simple question for everyone!

The horn on the Bongo has stopped working, but as the body shop have been rummaging around under the bonnet, I suspect a wire has come off. I want to try and trace it back, but where from? I can't find anything that looks remotely like a horn under the bonnet ................. but then again, I have no idea what one looks like, having never had to find one before :(

its one of those thing that doesn't look like its name.

66-790 and 66-780a if the vehicle is fitted with hi/low horns, if you need new horns (they often rust away)they are very reasonably priced on Ebay.
Good Luck.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Brilliant, thank you so much. Ironically, I rarely use it as I am one of those laid back patient folk, but I know it was working before the body shop got in there and started undoing stuff.

As the Bongo returned from surgery with the washer bottle not screwed back on, and the grille not properly attached as well as a few other "snagging items", I suspect a clumsy apprentice is to blame (the apprentice who has now, apparently, been fired!!!!).
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:55 pm

On my early (1998) V6 they are under the big air scoop in front of the radiator ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:00 pm

I always marvel at the cleanliness of your Bongo when you post pictures Mike =D>
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Found it, where Rita said. Need to lie on the floor and look upwards - mine's also early 1998, Mike, but it's a diesel so just have one horn, almost inaccessible to those with normal hands and fingers.

Have checked fuse, have checked relay (which makes a noise) and have checked wires to a surprisingly clean and newish looking horn (although having had the Bongo for seven years, it can't be that new ...... the dirt obviously doesn't get that far! Not looking forward to trying to replace it, as it still doesn't work.

That under-the-bonnet shot puts mine to shame ...... it's grim under there. Leaves, pine needles, dead stuff, cobwebs. To think, the body shop were in there with all their silver paint. The painty bits look fab. I really must make more effort ;-)
Alison

cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:06 pm

I just have to get in here with the obvious answer before Bob does.... It's on the steering wheel :roll:

Shall I go in search of Bob's coat :cry:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:29 pm

I gifted my V6 Bongo to my grandson .. he popped down from County Durham last week in it .. a 400+ round trip .. he (and his two brothers love it)

He posted a Facebook picture last night with the three of them .. bacon for butties cooking on the stove ..!!

Couple of under bonnet pics of my Alphard V6..(I hope I don't get thrown off BF now as the lads want me to go to some Bongo meets with them in the summer ) ..!!

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:39 pm

cmm303, I am amazed that yours wasn't the first reply on the post. By all means get Bob's coat, and pick yours up at the same time!!!
Alison

roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:56 pm

I've never had need to look at the Bongo's horn before but I've had this issue on other cars and have just cut the cable where I can get to it and install a new horn there, rather than try and get to the original location. Might that he a possibility?
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Alison01326 wrote:cmm303, I am amazed that yours wasn't the first reply on the post. By all means get Bob's coat, and pick yours up at the same time!!!
thank you Alison
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
beep beep
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Techie Stuff”