towing a caravan

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

claireb
Junior Bongonaut

towing a caravan

Post by claireb » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Me and my bloke are looking into buy a caravan. We have a 2Lt tin top bongo which is petrol. Not converted. 8 seater. We would like feed back on anyone that's towed or towing a caravan. We are looking into one that's around 850k or below 4 berth. Lots of advice welcome. Thankyou
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: towing a caravan

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:53 pm

claireb wrote:Me and my bloke are looking into buy a caravan. We have a 2Lt tin top bongo which is petrol. Not converted. 8 seater. We would like feed back on anyone that's towed or towing a caravan. We are looking into one that's around 850k or below 4 berth. Lots of advice welcome. Thankyou
dont

Unless youre looking at an Eriba,or cockpit/gopod,dont bother considering towing with a 2ltr petrol.
Underpowered and under geared.for anything over 700kg you need a diesel or V6 petrol

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm with Brian on this.

The Bongo is already a pretty heavy lump for a 2ltr petrol engine so only a small/light caravan would suit.

The diesel, however, is a great tug but I'd recommend fitting an oil cooler to the auto box. :wink:

And welcome to the Forum. :)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:52 am

We tow a 1400kg caravan with our diesel Bongo however this is on the limit of what I'd be happy with. The Bongo can perhaps do more but it certainly wouldn't be quick and with the auto box not exactly effortless! I don't know what feedback people have on the V6 but I wouldn't want to try it to be honest, let alone the 2 litre.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:00 pm

I used to have a 2 ltr but swapped it for a V6 to tow our caravan. I never towed with the 2 ltr but reckon it would not manage much more than a small trailer well.
V6 Tintop with LPG
claireb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by claireb » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Thank you for all your reply's we are now looking to sell our beloved bongo. If any can point me in the right direction of where to best sell that would be of great help
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:14 pm

claireb wrote:Thank you for all your reply's we are now looking to sell our beloved bongo. If any can point me in the right direction of where to best sell that would be of great help
This site seems to give good results. Little discussion here:
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 1&p=676454
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”