Battery light always on!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Battery light always on!

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:35 pm

So last night I adjusted the alternator belt as I had a slight squeak! The long nut in the top never done anything as the 144mm along the left was clearly loose, so I thought bugger it, il do it tomorrow ( today ) I’ve not yet taken the final look at the alternator, but it is reasonably new so it doesn’t need replacing as of yet! I’m just wondering weather a loose alternator could make the the 2 charge and sediment lights to show! I guess right now I’m driving purely on Batery life!

I’m living in Plymouth and don’t have an awful lot of money, but if anyone local has any spare alternator bolts I could grab I’d really appreciate it! Il be able to collect!

Last time I adgusted my alternator I had to use a torque bar to pull alternator into place before putting on the left nut and holding it into place! Any worries dead or advice then I’m all ears!

Thanks guys! I’m a noob but willing to learn!
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Battery light always on!

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:07 pm

I’ve just tested both alternator and battery with multi meter and both show over 12 bolts when running! My meter is old but still just about works lol! I’m wondering if there’s a fuse to check! I did pull fuse number 1 like I’ve read somewhere online but all that happens is a continual beep that’s really head doing! So I know that alternator and battery are both working! What else could be the issue! I’m looking for fuses as we speak! Could some message me on 07872131497 if they have any clues or ideas! Thanks!

If I drive it will it break down!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:25 pm

If the battery charge light comes on then the alternator is not charging the battery.
With the engine off the voltage at the battery terminals should be around 12.6 volts when fully charged and left to rest for 30 minutes.
When the engine is running and the alternator is spinning then you should be seeing greater than 13.8 volts normally you would expect 14.4 volts maximum (any more and the battery will be damaged!).
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello and thank you! Yes my Alternator needs a refurb, iv read that more than %80 of failed alternators would be the brushes, but I don't have a soldier iron to hand and not do I know what brushes do buy! If I could buy the whole brush unit ( I don't know the name of it) then I'd gladly order one and fit the parts myself. I'm fairly confident with elteonics.

If anyone knows the part I'm talking about then please let me know what I need to buy on eBay. Thank you!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:16 pm

No you won't be doing it with a soldering iron and hand tools! The parts are all riveted together due to the current etc. Get onto a local alternator/starter refurbishing firm they can normally do them with a 24hour turnround. See here for a discussion at Ady's https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... 76#p515776
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”