Coolant leak problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

pikey
Junior Bongonaut

Coolant leak problem

Post by pikey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi, Our Bongo has come back from a long trip around Scotland and has developed a coolant leak. The garage has said it needs the metal coolant pipe on the driver's side replacing, but say they can't source the part.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the metal coolant pipes for a 2001 2.0L petrol bongo please? I've found the bongobits website, but this doesn't seem to have the part for a 2.0L bongo (though I have e-mailed them to see if they can supply it).

I live in Peterborough and really need to get the bongo fixed and on the road again tomorrow if possible. Can anyone recommend a garage near Peterborough who might know a bit more about Bongos?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant leak problem

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm afraid to say that these particular pipes will have to be shipped in from Japan. As far as I am aware none of the Bongo parts suppliers in UK keep them in stock. Bongobits, AVA, the Bongo Shop and others will be able to order it out for you, but because of ongoing supply-chain problems caused by the earthquake in March, you can expect about a 3 to 5 week delay at the moment. The other problem you will have is shipping costs; these pipes are fairly long and go over the international size requirements for most of the courier firms.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Worth trying your local Mazda dealer, they came up trumps for me for a new aft seal & much cheaper than I was being quoted elsewhere, only took 2 weeks to get here from Japan too.
If that one's gone, how are the rest + the hoses etc?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 pm

is it similar in dimentions to a diesel 2.5 part.? if yes get a piece of same gauge pipe from a local metal supplier,theres nothing special about it.anything will do as an emergency fix.
just dont use jubilee clips to try to seal it,use the proper mazda clips.

or get one of the flexi emergency hoses that the aa use,and make up a fix.
chop the leaking solid pipe you have and make 2 sleeves that will fit either end of the new flexi,cable tie in place for now.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:02 am

Good call, why didn't I think of that #-o
Same part no's on lushyP

2.0litre petrol system - http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html

2.5TD system - http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html

2.5 V6 petrol - http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html

Not all the hoses are the same, but the two main metal pipes are, ie drawing no's 15-19x & 15-190 (part no's are on the index on the left if you click on the description, but these may not match with mazda part no's exactly)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 am

If it's the smaller diameter longer pipes for the heater part of the system, I think those'll be the same for all models too - http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html - nothing listed as being different for different models, check to make sure though.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:11 am

Try AVA - http://www.mazdabongo.com/display.produ ... earch=true @£50 each for the large coolant pipes. Allans may be able to supply, or Bellhill, etc?
pikey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pikey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Not having much luck. Found a few people who do the pipes for a turbo diesel, but not a 2.0L petrol.

Japautospares think they may be able to get some, but the garage I am using have given me this showing the pipes that are leaking:

http://www.bongoholidays.co.uk/IMG00200 ... 4-1211.jpg

But Japautospares say the diagram is not of a 2.0l petrol and that the diesel pipes in the diagram are different and the part numbers are therefore wrong for my bongo.

Can anyone confirm whether the above diagram is of a 2.0L bongo (2001) or something different please? If something different, does anyone know the part numbers for the 2.0l bongo for the equivalent parts?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:30 pm

I can confirm that it is what I said it is, look here & figure it out for yourself if you don't believe me - http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/
When you click on the relevant details on the page for your year - http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/i ... A0Ctr.html - the top two lines of engine specific info are for the 2.0 litre petrol, which is evident if you click on the + icon to the left of the text.
If in any doubt try & get a Mazda dealer to confirm, they should have access to the relevant drawings/part no's as well as being able to order the parts.
I thought JAS were no longer supplying bongo spares & had sold their stock to Ian?
pikey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pikey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Sorry - got company name wrong - it's Auto Jap Spares not Jap Auto Spares I spoke to. It was them that said the picture the garage supplied wasn't for a 2.0L petrol.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Supply them with a picture of an arse & an elbow & see if they can spot the difference :wink:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 am

3 minutes spent on lushprojects reveals these part no's for the 3 parts highlighted on the drawing supplied by the garage

FEMJ15270A - 15270 - PIPE,WATER BY PASS

FEMJ15290 - 15290 - PIPE,BYPASS

F8A615537A - 15106B - HOSE,WATER

Check to make sure as I'm still a bit groggy from a general anaesthetic after an op today :wink:
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 am

Have you been to your Mazda dealer yet as Kirsty suggests? I have never had a problem getting bits from them for my '98 Bongo, usually takes no longer than a week & is not normally that expensive, some parts you will probably only source through a dealer.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
pikey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pikey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the part numbers. Tried the local Mazda main dealer and they didn't seem to want to know. Mazda can't find them on their system in the UK and said the best they could do would be to email Japan and then it could take a month to get the parts but they didn't really know.

Everyone I've e-mailed in the UK from ebay and the spares places advertising on this site don't seem to stock the coolant pipes for the petrol bongo. They've got the diesel ones, but not petrol.

Running out of ideas now...anyone know of a 2.0L petrol being scrapped anywhere?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am

Go for the mazda dealer ordering the parts, you will probably be surprised how soon they arrive, it's the system a lot of us have used. There may be parts held in Belgium, which would mean it should only be a few days, I've had parts ordered from Japan & they were here in 2 weeks. at least then you'll know you have a source of parts local to you when you need them :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”