Bill @ Campercraft

hairyneep
Bongolier

Bill @ Campercraft

Post by hairyneep » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 am

Finally got my Bongo after almost 2 years of reading forums and trawling ads, and she's a belter.

Picked it up from Wheelquick in Wigan and then dropped it off with Bill at Campercraft in Kirckaldy to get a few things done before taking it home to Aberdeen.

Bill has been a font of Bongo knowledge and never too busy to talk or offer advice and now that I've had some work done by him I can't praise his workmanship or enthusiasm enough. He's a great guy to deal with and I would recommend him to anyone, whether you're after a few small jobs or a full conversion he's definitely the guy to go to.

Once I get some photos taken I'll post them to show my new pride and joy off. See you all around.

Leon
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Re: Bill @ Campercraft

Post by The_Gordons » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Congratulations Leon. Will keep an eye out for your Bongo at the local mountain biking spots.

Are you going to make it along to the April meet at Glencoe?

Paul
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Congratulations Mr Neep, glad the van was worth the wait =D> =D> We had our van undersealed by Bill, and i could,nt speak highly enough of Bills attention to detail. Glad to see he is up and running again. Maybe see you at a meet some time?

Cheers

David. :D
rapiddescent
Bongolier

Post by rapiddescent » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 pm

hehe - another mountain biker/bongo combo.

the only good thing about Bill being based up towards knockhill were the trails at blairadam forest closeby. I often took the bike while he was tinkering with the van! I'll have to look out some trails near kirkcaldy for my next trip!
Ford Freda owning mountain biker dude
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:04 am

Hello and welcome to Bongo World

Glad your happy with your new toy,and happy you are being looked after by Campercraft

You mention you bought your Bongo from Wheelquick.How come you didnt allow them to do all the other work youve booked campercraft to do.They do conversions,and are one of the best in the business for service and satisfation??.
Surely it would be cheaper to get all the work done by one garage (unless Bill is a friend/relative :wink: )

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
hairyneep
Bongolier

Post by hairyneep » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes, look forward to meeting those of you I've not so far.

Brian, there are a few reasons why I didn't get the work done at Wheelquick. Firstly I drove down from Aberdeen to look at the Bongo and didn't know for sure if I was taking it so once the decision was made it would have meant waiting around or another journey (670 mile round trip). Secondly, I've not had a huge amount done so the cost would have been similar regardless of it being done by Wheelquick or Campercraft.

But the main reason was, I've been in contact with Bill since last May and his advice has been spot on so I had always intended to get him to do the work once I'd found the right motor, regardless of where I bought it.

I have to agree with you about Wheelquick though, Mike and Mike are great guys. I would highly recommend them to anyone, they're straight talking and very honest blokes.

Leon
iBongo

Post by iBongo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:42 pm

iBongo is with Bill at the moment. He did all the work on her. Full side conversion, paint job (he tried to talk me out of lol) :lol: Radiator cracked last weekend and I had it flat bedded to him last Tuesday. £140 from North Berwick to Kirkcaldy to have it flat bedded, both Bill and I thought it would be more.

Here's a photo of how iBongo looks now... Image
rapiddescent
Bongolier

Post by rapiddescent » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Mine is another wheelquick original that'll be over in kirkcaldy this week. mine had the mysterious white circle of no wax-oil where the spare wheel goes! Bill noticed and fixed it for me last year. I've been thinking of getting mine repainted as well.
Ford Freda owning mountain biker dude
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:09 am

I had th same problem when I bought my bongo from Jal five years ago, the person that did the undersealing for them also failed to remove the spare wheel. Wheelquick patched up the missing bit for me during a service but I had a proper and through undersealing job done a year later by Chassis Clean. Anyone taking their Bongo in for an undersealing job after they have bought their Bongo would be well advised to remove the spare wheel themselves especially if they are using a non Bongo garage to do the job. Most of them don't even know where the jack and the rest of the tools are kept on a Bongo.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
MikeBongo
Bongonaut

Post by MikeBongo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 am

Took Bongo to Bill yesterday for a service and a checkover. Had thought the handling was a little 'loose' ... 2 hrs later lovely smooth running sweet handling Bongo returned to me! Fantastic service and not hard on the wallet. Thanks again to Bill .. well worth the trip.

I also have a DIY 'to do' list to keep the van healthy in the future .. will be in big trouble from the man himself if I don't follow his advice!

Redpath tyres have just quoted me £300 for 4 van tyres fitted and balanced .. pretty good deal I think. Haddington branch but I guess they will all be similar.
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

MikeBongo wrote:Took Bongo to Bill yesterday for a service and a checkover. Had thought the handling was a little 'loose' ... 2 hrs later lovely smooth running sweet handling Bongo returned to me! Fantastic service and not hard on the wallet. Thanks again to Bill .. well worth the trip.

I also have a DIY 'to do' list to keep the van healthy in the future .. will be in big trouble from the man himself if I don't follow his advice!

Redpath tyres have just quoted me £300 for 4 van tyres fitted and balanced .. pretty good deal I think. Haddington branch but I guess they will all be similar.
Well lucky you. Being local I have called in a couple of times. The first time "He MIGHT be back in 5 or 10 minutes". Today " he's not in yet (10.30) he's usually in by 10. Did the shopping and returned an hour later, still not open. Brian @ Dairsie Autopoint gets my vote.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 pm

I understand Bill has suffered ill health recently, but everything good said about him is true - top bloke!

He's not always at the unit, true, and I've seen myself hanging around for him too - generally best to give him a call on his mobile number (which is on his website) to arrange.

I've been down a few times and he's done me many favours... I just need to work out how I can give him some money!! :lol: :lol:
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be third time lucky.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm planning to go there on Monday during the day with dave_aber to replace my coolant - Bill's interested in seeing a "vacuum fill".
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
MikeBongo
Bongonaut

Post by MikeBongo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes .. he can be difficult to track down. I always call him on his mobile and arrange to visit. He is just out of hospital and clearly has not been too well. I find him honest, straight forward, very helpful and knowledgable so I am happy to travel from East Lothian. That is not, of course to say there are not other excellent Bongo garages around .. I just like to support someone who has done a great job for me and I like!

In a similar vein I am into motorcycles in a big way and find it hard to go past Andy Minns at Border Bikes in Duns for all the same reasons I take the Bongo to Bill.

Mike

Return to “Scotland”