Classing a conversion as a Motor Caravan DO NOT DELETE

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Classing a conversion as a Motor Caravan DO NOT DELETE

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Noticed a thread on the insurance part of forum and also some rumblings on a VW forum about some new rules that apply from end of April. Haven't had much chance to dig into it yet, but VOSA have produced a guide on what does and does not class as a Motor Caravan. Looks like they've paid special attention to Bongos: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M ... Advice.pdf. You may even see your own van featured in this!
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: Possible issue with classing a conversion as a Motor Car

Post by winchman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 am

I am abit confused by all this I assume that document is for type approval for imports?
We just want change of body type on the V5 so I see it as different?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:38 am

These new rules apply to type approval for imports, new V5 registrations, AND requests for change of use.

A further test that may be employed is that to qualify as a motorhome a the kitchen units must be permanant fixtures and seat belt anchorage points in the rear of the vehicle have been removed.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Ian wrote:These new rules apply to type approval for imports, new V5 registrations, AND requests for change of use.

A further test that may be employed is that to qualify as a motorhome a the kitchen units must be permanant fixtures and seat belt anchorage points in the rear of the vehicle have been removed.
yep! just had mine re classified to a motor home with all the above all met.
Luke and Debs
Bongolier

Post by Luke and Debs » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 pm

got my van changed over last month. all it took was some photos and a list of what has gone in

dvla were quite quick and good

luke
Luke (V6 and LOVING IT)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Luke and Debs wrote:got my van changed over last month. all it took was some photos and a list of what has gone in

dvla were quite quick and good

luke
You were lucky - it's going to be a lot harder :(
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Now this document
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M ... Advice.pdf
Is often quoted, now I may be wrong but as I see it this is used for newly imported vehicles for type approval / registration.
I have had a good look in to this and I feel if this document was used as a rule to change your V5 it could be classed as unfair as every vehicle it rejects is a Bongo.
The main point I have is its a Vosa Document, but the DVLA will issue the log book and as yet I cannot find a document produced by the DVLA shwing what they expect for the V5 to be changed.
I should do mine this month if all goes to plan.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:33 pm

winchman wrote: I have had a good look in to this and I feel if this document was used as a rule to change your V5 it could be classed as unfair as every vehicle it rejects is a Bongo.
The following is in bold print at the bottom of the first page "The examples given are used to depict scenarios and do not relate to a particular manufacturer, make, model or vehicle conversion." I'm sure they'll refuse any small vehicle which doesn't meet the necessary criteria.
I think you'll find that VOSA make the conditions and DVLA do the clerical bits, so you're unlikely to find a DVLA document online, as the change cannot be done online. Documents may be available in the DVLA offices (if they haven't closed yours yet :roll: )
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:01 am

Is there any more info on this yet? Comfort insurance will only Insure converted Bongos if they have been reclassified as a "motor caravan." Apparently, meeting the criteria is quite hard...... Ours is still a PLG on the V5, so I'm not sure what to do about this. Probably a call to the DVLA methinks.
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

We re-classified as a Motor Caravan back in February. Some extra reading is here:
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =1&t=53878

There are pictures of our rear conversion here:
http://mazdabongo.wikispaces.com/Conver ... onversions

Darron
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”