Passenger Elec Mirror & window not working...Advice??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

itswalsho
Bongonaut

Passenger Elec Mirror & window not working...Advice??

Post by itswalsho » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi all

On our new Bongo the Passenger Electric window doesn't operate from the passenger switch, but works fine from the drivers switch. Also, the Electric Mirror on that same passenger side does not work either. After reading posts on here I put 2 & 2 together and suspected a faulty wire in the loom at the door opening. However, surely it cannot be that because the passenger window opens fine if controlled from the drivers side. Surely that rules out a faulty loom because power can get from the drivers switch to the passenger window???? As for the Mirror...I'm looking for suggestions.

Any suspicions or suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Passenger Elec Mirror & window not working...Advice??

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Have you flipped the toggle switch, on the driver's side switch, that isolates the supply to the passenger side switch?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:01 am

It may be a break in the cable/cables where the wiring loom in the door entrees the A pillar. Just repaired the drivers door loom on my bongo?
itswalsho
Bongonaut

Post by itswalsho » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:11 am

Hi guys

Yes. I've flicked the Toggle. No joy. After reading up on here I did suspect the loom. I have a voltmeter. Just wondering how to use it to find the problem

Thanks
gasace
Bongolier

Post by gasace » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 am

itswalsho wrote:Hi guys

Yes. I've flicked the Toggle. No joy. After reading up on here I did suspect the loom. I have a voltmeter. Just wondering how to use it to find the problem

Thanks
Try moving the loom about (wiggling) if it starts to work you know it's the loom, this could be on the drivers door or passengers door as the circiut goes through both.
itswalsho
Bongonaut

Post by itswalsho » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Is the loom (that runs from the switch to the Mirror) hard to locate because this week I am stripping the whole interior out of the vehicle so I can clean/Jetwash the carpet after I removed it?

Thanks
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm

If it works from the driver's switch I would suspect the switch or loom on the passy side. As it is affecting two things with separate switches I would look to the loom I think. It is possible but unlikely that you have two faulty switches of course.

You really need a circuit diagram to identify the wire that should carry the voltage if you can't find it by wiggling or visual inspection. There are wiring diagrams in the Fact Sheets IIRR.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm

The loom runs between the moving door and the chassis of the vehicle, low down on the door. Open the doors and look downwards, you will see a black, wrapped cable going between the door an the chassis this is the offending item! If you do a search for door and loom you will find some posts will pictures in.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm

I have a similar problem in that both my mirror .. the drivers window .. central locking all work as they should .. but not the passengers window ...

Good luck .. I removed the insulation on both door jambs .. visually checked and tugged each individual wire with no joy ..I even took the switches out and pulled all the multi pin connection apart with no luck ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
itswalsho
Bongonaut

Post by itswalsho » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi all

I think I may of found my problem. see the attached Pic. You will see there are 3 wires broken. Yes, 3! I am planning to solder in a patch piece. I assume I can use any wire as long as it is thicker/heavier than the wire I am replacing? We have an old reading lamp that has 240V Power cable. I was thinking of splitting the three cores out of that and using that to patch the broken cables. Surely that will be ok?

I've uploaded the picture to help others. OOps...I don't seem to be able to upload pics here. If you need it Mike Walsall Just Email me.

Thanks all
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 pm

itswalsho wrote:Hi all

I think I may of found my problem. see the attached Pic. You will see there are 3 wires broken. Yes, 3! I am planning to solder in a patch piece. I assume I can use any wire as long as it is thicker/heavier than the wire I am replacing? We have an old reading lamp that has 240V Power cable. I was thinking of splitting the three cores out of that and using that to patch the broken cables. Surely that will be ok?

I've uploaded the picture to help others. OOps...I don't seem to be able to upload pics here. If you need it Mike Walsall Just Email me.

Thanks all
I have just repaired the loom on my drivers side door (4 broken wires) I removed the loom, cut out the damaged section, soldered in the new cables and used heat shrink to protect and insulate wires. As long as the gauge of the wire you use is the same size or greater you should have no problems. 8)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 pm

If your replacing wire make sure its insulation is of an automotive type! The type of insulation used on mains cables is a type to ensure flexibility, whilst the types used in vehicles is designed for abrasion resistance. The vibration in a vehicle will rapidly damage the softer type used in mains cables.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

I have not removed any wire insulation .. but all of the wires seem quite 'stiff' .. and not so soft / flexible as 'normal' car wires generally seem ..

Is this usual ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 pm

As stated earlier the type of wire used in automotive industry is usually stiffer and not as flexible as let's say mains flex also most cable gets stiffer and less flexible with age that said the copex (plastic protective ridged cover over the wiring loom on the door) should protect the wires from abrasion. If in doubt take a small sample to your local motor factors for a match.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:20 am

mikeWalsall wrote:I have not removed any wire insulation .. but all of the wires seem quite 'stiff' .. and not so soft / flexible as 'normal' car wires generally seem ..

Is this usual ..??
The wires have probably stiffened with age, Copper does stiffen and the plastic insulation goes hard over time. This is why I chose to replace the whole harness with new as I had three broken and about another eight still to break but not far off
. Another point is that there are two types of automotive wire that you can buy, strandard and PTFE. I would use like to repair like. (The PTFE has thinner insulation and can carry more current for its size I think because it can run hotter. I believe it might be used in a couple of places on the Bongo but not in the doors as far as I know.

I would order some wire from one of the several vehicle electric wiring companies, it is very cheap and you will get it in a couple of days.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]

Return to “Techie Stuff”