remote key battery question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Luke and Debs
Bongolier

remote key battery question

Post by Luke and Debs » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:16 pm

hi all

my dads remote battery key has run out on his bongo. he went to get new key battery but place advised him to check that it does not need to be done at mazda. according to them some companies like vw, code these so if u change it without them it will shut down the electrics. :(

dont think this is the case with bongos but thought i would check for him

cheers luke
Luke (V6 and LOVING IT)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: remote key battery question

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Assuming its a genuine Mazda remote fob, then I very much doubt there would be any issue changing the battery as it's pretty old tech.. I've replaced batteries in numerous vehicle remotes and never had a problem.

Of course, if it all goes t*ts, don't blame me :)
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:41 pm

The guy was talking out of his bottom. You can change the battery in any car key fob without it affecting anything else.
Luke and Debs
Bongolier

Post by Luke and Debs » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 pm

thanks guys

will tell the old man to go ahead and replace it

cheers
Luke (V6 and LOVING IT)
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Luke and Debs wrote:thanks guys

will tell the old man to go ahead and replace it

cheers
Get it back off him and do it yourself. You can get the batteries on Ebay for about £2 for 10
hypno211
Bongonaut

Post by hypno211 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 am

Some remotes need the batterys changed within a given timeframe or they will then need re-syncing to the vehicle. for eg. the old rover remotes needed both buttons to be pressed for a min of 5 seconds to discharge the remote before putting in the new battery or they could lose there pairing and need redoing, so to say you can just repace a battery in ANY remote is totaly wrong and why I get lots of ppl stranded in shopping centers because they cant open there doors with the remote and there locks are seized.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:11 pm

hypno211 wrote:Some remotes need the batterys changed within a given timeframe or they will then need re-syncing to the vehicle. for eg. the old rover remotes needed both buttons to be pressed for a min of 5 seconds to discharge the remote before putting in the new battery or they could lose there pairing and need redoing, so to say you can just repace a battery in ANY remote is totaly wrong and why I get lots of ppl stranded in shopping centers because they cant open there doors with the remote and there locks are seized.
OK, so any remote except an old Rover then :)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm

hypno211 wrote:...I get lots of ppl stranded in shopping centers because they can't open there doors with the remote and there locks are seized.
Is that directly attributable to people having the replaced fob batteries while out shopping at the local Maplins, or just because it's a car park containing a large number of vehicles so statistically will result in a higher then average number of car-related call outs?
hypno211
Bongonaut

Post by hypno211 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:11 pm

Is that directly attributable to people having the replaced fob batteries while out shopping at the local Maplins, or just because it's a car park containing a large number of vehicles so statistically will result in a higher then average number of car-related call outs?

I get called to lockouts for various reasons Simon, but one of them is because ppl have tried to change there remote batterys and for various reasons have failed. This happens not just at shopping centers but at home, on holiday ect. The Rover instance was just an example to show that the statement "anyone can change the battery in any remote" is not a true fact. Also Statistically we attend less lockouts in shopping centers than in other places eg outside the home at work ect.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Fair comment. In that case, the OP would be best advised to take their van to the local Mazda dealer and if it costs a few extra quid for a battery at least they will have peace of mind that in the unlikely even of a problem, someone else will have to sort it out.

I've just rebuilt 3 Volvo fobs so would have no qualms having a go when my battery needs changing on the Bongo, but I like to live dangerously :).
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 pm

On some vehicles you have to perform " The Highland Fling " after fitting new batteries.
hypno211
Bongonaut

Post by hypno211 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Simon,
In all honesty I dont think there would be a problem with a Mazda for battery changing, it was the staement that ALL remotes could be replaced without problem stated by the other member that needed addressing, far better as you say take it to the dealer/autolocksmith and let it be there problem if you are not sure and you just sit back and relax. Its cheaper to pay to have the battery fitted than to have the remote re-synced to your vehicle

Return to “Techie Stuff”