Tailgate Hinges

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mini Men
Junior Bongonaut

Tailgate Hinges

Post by Mini Men » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 pm

I think my tailgate has moved, we changed the struts to a higher rated pair from SGS but now the door catches on the latch slightly. Also the gap on one side is wider than the other but I must admit not sure if it was always like that. Anybody else had issues?
cookan
Bongolier

Re: Tailgate Hinges

Post by cookan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:02 pm

YES! Exactly that...just tried fitting SGS struts at the weekend and door latch now banging...I just posted a message today on the forums then stumbled across your thread.....did you get to the bottom of the problem?

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... te#p680296
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:22 pm

might sound silly but try loosening off the spare wheel cable that carries the spare if you have one, too tight can pull up the floor.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Hmm....well I did check the spare tyre this weekend too....made sure it was fully up too. Will check tomorrow but I think that the top edge of the tailgate is lower than body line so suspect it's dropped or the hinge sections have deformed..there must have been enough pressure in those new tailgate struts to support the entire van to be honest...had to let a lot of gas out before it'd even consider moving..didn't get chance to do any work on it today unfortunately..
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:08 pm

cookan wrote:Hmm....well I did check the spare tyre this weekend too....made sure it was fully up too. Will check tomorrow but I think that the top edge of the tailgate is lower than body line so suspect it's dropped or the hinge sections have deformed..there must have been enough pressure in those new tailgate struts to support the entire van to be honest...had to let a lot of gas out before it'd even consider moving..didn't get chance to do any work on it today unfortunately
Could the pressure in the struts be uneven now and causing the door to twist slightly?

I successfully used a ratchet strap to compress the AFT gas struts when replacing them
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

Mini Men
another similar thread here.
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 10#p680410
Not sure who is who anymore,may have posted to the wrong thread! :oops: :? :? :? :? :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”